Brigadier General Alan W. Palmer is the chief of staff, North Dakota Air National Guard, Fargo, N.D. As the chief of staff, he formulates, plans and establishes policies for the North Dakota Air National Guard and the 119th Fighter Wing, consisting of 1,000 personnel and 15 fighter aircraft. He coordinates staff activities pertaining to administration, operations, maintenance, and resources to assure accomplishment of state and unit missions. Additional responsibilities include maintaining liaison with organizational commanders to ensure adequate support of all functions, implementing directives and operational orders from higher headquarters, and evaluating effectiveness of training programs and availability and readiness of flight crews.
General Palmer began his military career with U.S. Air Force enlisted service beginning in 1972. After serving as an Electronic Warfare Specialist in several assignments including a tour in Thailand, he joined the North Dakota Air National Guard in 1981. He served as a Maintenance Officer and Supervisor prior to serving in several command positions. Commands included the 119th Supply Squadron, 119th Maintenance Squadron, 119th Logistics Squadron, and the 119th Support Group. General Palmer served as the State J-5 in Joint Force Headquarters during the transition from an Air National Guard State Headquarters to the current Joint Force Headquarters.
1984 Bachelor of Science in Aeronautical Studies, minor in Geography, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks North Dakota
1992 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1997 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2000 Air War College, by correspondence
1. May 1985 - April 1989, aircraft maintenance officer, 119th Maintenance Squadron, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
2. April 1989 - April 1991, avionics maintenance officer, 119th Maintenance Squadron, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
3. April 1991 - May 1995, organizational maintenance officer, 119th Maintenance Squadron, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
4. May 1995 - May 1996, chief of supply, 119th Logistics Squadron, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
5. May 1996 - May 1997, commander, 119th Logistics Squadron, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
6. May 1997 - December 1998, commander, 119th Maintenance Squadron, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
7. December 1998 - December 1999, commander, 119th Logistics Group, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
8. December 1999 - October 2001, commander, 119th Support Group, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
9. October 2001 - October 2003, executive officer, Headquarters, North Dakota Air National Guard, Fraine Barracks, Bismarck, N.D.
10. October 2003 - March 2006, executive officer/J-5, Joint Force Headquarters, North Dakota National Guard, Bismarck, N.D.
11. March 2006 - chief of staff, North Dakota Air National Guard, Hector Field, Fargo, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with one device
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six devices
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with one device
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with one device
National Defense Service Medal with two devices
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon (short)
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with six devices
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with one device
Air Force Training Ribbon with one device
North Dakota State Achievement Ribbon
North Dakota ANG OCONUS Ribbon
North Dakota ANG Recruiting Ribbon
North Dakota National Guard Service Ribbon with two devices
North Dakota National Guard Basic Training Ribbon
Director of Flight Operations, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Honor Graduate Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, August 1986
Airline Transport Pilot, over 9,200 flight hours
Designated Pilot Examiner
North Dakota Pilots Association, founding member
USAF Association, member since 1975
Reserve Office Association, Grand Forks chapter president since 1985
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS:
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1985
First Lieutenant June 6, 1987
Captain July 15, 1989
Major January 8, 1994
Lieutenant Colonel July 12, 1998
Colonel May 8, 2002
Brigadier General May 3, 2006