Major General Michael J. Haugen assumed the duties of the Adjutant General of North Dakota on December 19th, 2000. The adjutant general commands 4,500 North Dakota Air and Army National Guard men and women, with 960 full time federal and state employees. He is responsible for federal and state missions, including the North Dakota Division of Emergency Management.
The general enlisted in the North Dakota Air National Guard in 1967 and served in aircraft maintenance. He received his commission in 1970, and completed Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1972. He has served in various assignments and command positions at the squadron, group and wing level. MG Haugen is a command pilot with more than 11,000 hours of flying time. Aircraft flown include: T-37, T-38, F-101, F-4D, C-131, Convair 580, Boeing 737, and F-16.
1970 Bachelor of arts degree in social science, Minot State College, Minot, North Dakota
1973 Squadron Officer School
1977 Industrial College of the Armed Forces
1983 Marine Corps Command and Staff
1994 Reserve Component National Security Course
1996 US Department of State Senior Seminar
2001 Harvard Regional Security Program
1. June 1971 - June 1972, student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
2. June 1972 - August 1972, pilot, 178th Fighter Squadron, Fargo, N.D.
3. August 1972 - January 1973, student, F-101 RTU, Ellington Air Force Base, Texas
4. January 1973 - April 1987, pilot, 178th Fighter Squadron, Fargo, N.D.
5. April 1986 - June 1989, Squadron Commander of 178th Fighter Squadron, Fargo, ND.
6. June 1989 - December 1991, Deputy Commander for Maintenance, 119th Fighter Group, Fargo, N.D.
7. December 1991 - March 1992, Director of Operations, 119th Fighter Group, Fargo, N.D.
8. March 1992 - July 1995, Group Commander, 119th Fighter Group, Fargo, N.D.
9. July 1995 - June 1996, student, Senior Seminar, US Department of State, Washington, D.C.
10. June 1996 - April 1999, Wing Commander, 119th Fighter Wing, Fargo, N.D.
11. April 1999 - June 2000, Chief of Staff, Headquarters, North Dakota Air National Guard, Fargo, N.D.
12. June 2000 - December 2000, Assistant (Reserve Component) to the Director of Plans (J5), Headquarters North American Aerospace Defense Command, Peterson Air Force Base, CO.
13. December 2000 - Present, The Adjutant General, ND National Guard, Bismarck, N.D.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 11,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-101, F-4D, C-131, Convair 580, Boeing 737, and F-16
Pilot wings from: Williams Air Force Base, Ariz.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit with one oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with eight oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with six oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 2 hourglass devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
North Dakota Distinguished Service Medal
North Dakota Legion of Merit Medal
North Dakota Meritorious Service Medal
North Dakota Commendation Ribbon
North Dakota OCONUS Ribbon
North Dakota Recruiting Ribbon
North Dakota Emergency Service Ribbon
North Dakota Service Ribbon with 3 hourglass devices
North Dakota Basic Training Ribbon
Distinguished Graduate - Undergraduate Pilot Training, 1972
Distinguished Graduate - Security Police Officer School, 1974
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS:
Second Lieutenant November 21, 1970
First Lieutenant June 29, 1972
Captain November 21, 1977
Major November 21, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel November 23, 1988
Colonel December 30, 1991
Brigadier General April 30, 1999
Major General September 26, 2001