CMSgt Merri Filloon is the Command Chief, 119th Wing, North Dakota Air National Guard, Hector International Airport, Fargo, North Dakota. She advises the commander on a wide range of topics including the health, esprit de corps, discipline, mentoring, well-being, career progression, professional development, and recognition of the more than 1,100 men and women assigned to the 119th Wing in Fargo and its geographically separated unit located at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota.
Chief Filloon joined the North Dakota Army National Guard in February 1990 while a junior in High School in Bismarck, North Dakota. She served as an 88M, Motor Transport Operator, retraining to a 75B, Administrative Specialist in 1992. She served in the 816th, 957th and 142nd units throughout her North Dakota Army National Guard tenure. In March 1999 she transferred to the North Dakota Air National Guard and was assigned to the 119th Military Personnel Flight as a Personnel Specialist. In 2000 she was hired as the full-time base Readiness Non- Commissioned Officer in Charge, transitioning to the NCOIC of Enlistments and Relocations in 2002. In 2005 Chief Filloon was selected for special duty assignment as the 119th Wing Retention Manager and went on to complete the Air Force Recruiting course at Lackland Air Force Base
in 2008. She was selected as the Recruiting Flight Chief for the 119th Force Support Squadron in 2012 and the North Dakota Air National Guard State Recruiting and Retention Superintendent in 2018. Prior to her current position, Chief Filloon served as the Senior Enlisted Leader for the 119th Medical Group, 119th Wing, North Dakota Air National Guard.
1991 88M Advanced Individual Training, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
1993 75B Administrative Specialist Course, Aberdeen, S.D.
1995 Associate of Arts Degree, Bismarck State College, Bismarck, N.D.
1997 Primary Leadership Development Course, Camp Williams, Utah
1999 Personnel Journeyman Course; Correspondence
2000 Airman Leadership School; Correspondence
2004 Personnel Craftsman; in residence by satellite, Fargo, N.D.
2005 Manper-B Systems Course; 133 AW, St. Paul, Minn.
2005 Retention Manager Basic Course; McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2005 Professional Selling Skills Course; McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2006 Professional Selling Skills Applications; McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2007 Basic Leadership Training Course, Fargo, N.D.
2008 ANG Advanced Retention Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2008 Air Force Recruiting Course, Lackland Air Force Base (AFB), Texas
2008 IMPACT Selling System Training Course; Brooks Group, Raleigh, N.C.
2008 Associate of Applied Science Degree, Human Resources Management, Community College of the Air Force
2010 Diversity Champion’s Course; Fargo, N.D.
2011 Tri-Metrix Certification Program; Brooks Group, Raleigh, N.C.
2012 USAF Senior NCO Distance Learning Course
2012 IMPACT Leadership and Sales Management Clinic; Brooks Group, Raleigh, N.C.
2012 Recruiting and Retention Management Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2012 Designated Officer Recruiting Course, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
2014 AFRISS Total Force Training Program; Randolph AFB, Texas
2015 Train the Trainer and Tri-Metrix Certification Training; Brooks Group, Raleigh, N.C.
2019 Recruiting & Retention Leadership Development Course; 175th Wing, Baltimore, Md.
2019 Contemporary Base Issues Course; Langley AFB, Va.
2021 Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course; virtual course via ANG Readiness Center
2022 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, (JKO) by correspondence
- February 1990 – June 1990, North Dakota Army National Guard Trainee, Bismarck, N.D.
- June 1990 – August 1990, Student, Basic Military Training, Fort Dix, N.J.
- June 1991 – August 1991, Student, Advanced Individual Training, Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.
- August 1991 – February 1992, Motor Transport Operator, 816th Engineer Company, Bismarck, N.D.
- February 1992 – July 1995, Personnel Administration Specialist, 957th Engineer Company, Bismarck, N.D.
- July 1995 – March 1999, Personnel Administration Specialist,142nd Engineer Combat Battalion (HVY), Fargo, N.D.
- March 1999 – January 2000, Personnel Craftsman, 119th Mission Support Flight, Fargo, N.D.
- January 2000 – January 2002, Base Readiness NCOIC, 119th Mission Support Flight, Fargo, N.D.
- January 2002 – May 2005, Enlistments and Relocations NCOIC, 119th Mission Support Flight, Fargo, N.D.
- May 2005 – July 2011, Retention Office Manager, 119th Mission Support Flight, Fargo, N.D.
- July 2011 – March 2018, Recruiting Flight Chief, 119th Mission Support Flight, Fargo, N.D.
- March 2018 – April 2020, Recruiting and Retention Superintendent, NDNG Joint Force Headquarters, Fargo, N.D.
- April 2020 – March 2023, Group Senior Enlisted Leader, 119th Medical Group, Fargo, N.D.
- April 2023 – Present, Command Chief, 119th Wing, Fargo, N.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 13 oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
North Dakota State Commendation Ribbon with oak leaf cluster North Dakota State Achievement Ribbon North Dakota ANG OCONUS Ribbon North Dakota NG Emergency Service Ribbon
2006 FY06 Region II Retention Manager Director’s Challenge Winner 2007 FY07 Region II Retention Manager Director’s Challenge Winner 2009 Outstanding Sales Performer; Air Force Recruiting Course 2009-2012 Region II Retention Field Advisory Council Representative 2010 Region II Retention Office Manager of the Year 2016 119th Wing Senior NCO of the Year 2019 Region II Recruiting and Retention Superintendent Field Advisory Council Representative
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Senior Airman March 6, 1999
Staff Sergeant Aug. 16, 2000
Technical Sergeant Aug. 21, 2002
Master Sergeant Aug. 25, 2004
Senior Master Sergeant Apr. 11, 2018
Chief Master Sergeant May 6, 2020
(Current as of June 2023)